Pantai Batu Burok, Kuala Terengganu



 For this entry it will be more on my reminisce of my childhood and growing up time with my my silent friend called The Beach


I had one day left before heading back to Kuala Lumpur & it will be a waste not to salvage whatever time I still have for sight seeing.

Beaches are nice & Terengganu coastal nature is further enhanced by a quite a number of beautiful  islands. East Coast is blessed to face South China Sea that somehow shaped the geography of its sandy soil by its seasonal turbulent Monsoon wind and weather, bringing along the new breath of life to enrich current flora and fauna that already existed (especially when there are still untouched by uncontrolled development )
 Pantai Batu Burok, 7:45 a.m

Back when I was a kid, our family stayed in an orange wooden house located around 500m from the beach. Even though it was near, I had never considered myself as a beach girl , due to my mother's strict rule not to ever come near it unless with her. Therefore, unlike the rest of the children who had liberty to play in the water ( which at that time it was common to do so in the afternoon, my brother was among them), we would stay indoor after school or was forced to sleep during noon.

But beach and sea side are places of tranquility. Unlike West Coast where most of the beaches'soil is muddy and the water can be murky, East Coast is plenty to offer in terms of white sandy beaches and some of it, clear pristine water. The only thing similar between West and East Coasts is when there are irresponsible people leaving their rubbish around and it become worse when Monsoon arrive .It can easily transformed from a beautiful clear white beach into land of a zig-zag of dark brown sediments shaping  the coastal line.


Pantai Batu Burok with its sandy beach

Whenever I come to Pantai Batu Burok, I can see children frolicking happily within splashing water, under the watchful eyes of their elders. Even though the Monsoon season had long past, but some of us forget it is not always the change of weather that caused the drowning. A person can stand waist-deep and still drown and one of the possible reason is rip current

My secondary school is located in Kuala Ibai, at a very close proximity to a beach and hence, every year we would have running event along the coastal line towards Pantai Batu Buruk. I personally felt it was more challenging, considering that I had not been an avid runner, (plus given my thin figure at that time) I was easily swayed by the inrush of the wind and the dragging effect while running due to the thick sand.

Timidly playing with water
When the weather is right, and less people around, I can spent hours sitting on the beach and stare at the sea. It is a sanctuary, a large escapade pod from unwelcoming despair. I used to run here whenever I was in disagreement with family. And with mother we would go to nearby jetty and talked for hours about life and the possible futures. And now, instead of cafes and fancy hangout places, I much prefer to drive for a distance just to be nearby a sea.

I guess the element of beach girl came a bit later in my life.


Yellow float of seine net

Seine net tied to a pole
The mystique of the sea has long been an integral part of fishermen who have strict rules that need to be respected and adhered when venturing into the water or so I heard. Take what is needed, tread carefully along the water and always instill a point of respect and good intention while hauling the sea bounty.

 Being a Muslim, I think such are important criteria not only while fishing but in all aspect of human life.












Comments